Volunteers from Portland, Oregon
What does a Sun Valley Jazz & Music Festival volunteer do?
Traditionally volunteers have filled the following positions:
- Airport Drivers pick up musicians at Boise Airport and transport to Sun Valley
- Site Managers and Shift Captains oversee the music venues
- Site Door Greeters check badges and clean up between music sets
- Sales and Will Call sell badges and tickets
- Communications Office records venue counts and provides a hub for communications
- Pre-festival Office Workers provide administrative support before the festival
Volunteers in the Communications Center
How much time during the Jazz & Music Festival does a volunteer work?
Volunteers who want a 5-day general admission pass serve a minimum of 12 hours. Paying patrons are welcome to volunteer for as little as one shift. Volunteers earning an admission pass will get scheduling priority over paying patrons or employee badges.
Sales · Lobby Greeters · Sales / Will Call
How do I become a volunteer?
Volunteers must apply each year with the on-line application. The link to the application will be available on this web page by Memorial Day weekend.
Applicants without a computer may call the Jazz Office and apply over the phone after Memorial Day. 1-877-478-5277
Why do I have to apply each year?
With today’s active lifestyles, people move and change cell phone numbers, email and addresses. The application ensures we get your updated contact information, confirm your intentions to participate this year, and capture your first and second choices for the upcoming festival.
Volunteers at Satchmos
When do I find out if I have been accepted?
Applicants receive access to the volunteer-only website once accepted and can see information for all volunteers.
When will I get my assignment?
Final positions and schedules will be posted by October 1 on the volunteer only web site. Positions are subject to change due to cancellations and changes in music sets. Please be clear on your application of your availability.
Volunteers at River Run
When would I have to be in Sun Valley?
- Pre-festival workers start Monday October 12 before the festival.
- All other volunteers must arrive Wednesday Oct. 14 at 10 am for job specific or site-specific training unless otherwise approved by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- The complimentary All Volunteer Luncheon is at noon in the Limelight Room on Wednesday October 14.
“Volunteer in Training”
What expenses would I have?
New volunteers must purchase the official teal-colored SV Jazz & Music Festival volunteer shirt that is worn with appropriate slacks, trousers or a skirt. Shirts may be picked up in the Volunteer Office Tuesday or Wednesday prior to the Volunteer Lunch.
Order Volunteer Shirts by calling 1-877-478-5277
Short sleeve polo= $27.50 (incl tax) or Long Sleeves = $30.80 (incl tax).
Each volunteer who is scheduled for 12 hours receives one 5 Day General Admission Pass. Failure to complete your work hours will require payment for the badge.
Volunteers reserve and pay for their own lodging arrangements and travel, as well as meals and other expenses.
*NEW in 2020* Volunteer Schedule Coordinators
Applications are due by June 30
Location: Your home
Days: as much as needed to get your schedule(s) finalized by Oct. 1
Hours: Duties may exceed 12 hours to finalize and edit schedule before the festival, but you get the benefit of having the 5 days to enjoy the entire festival!
Duties: Work with Volunteer Coordinator to create volunteer schedules with information from applications. Work with Site Managers to assign shift captains. Make phone calls as needed to former volunteers and applicants to complete schedules. Publish schedule following standardized format by October 1 and email to assigned volunteers. Edit schedule as needed to address cancellations and changes in music sets.
Required: Volunteer must own a laptop or computer with Microsoft Office and have strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills. Must be good at emailing attachments and navigating websites. Must be willing to participate in on-line training with Volunteer Coordinator in August and periodic teleconference calls the 4 weeks prior to Festival.
Number of Positions: 7
- Opera House
- Continental Room
- Limelight Room
- Satchmo’s and Village Gate
- River Run and RV Lot
- Communications and Pre-Festival Office Work
- Lobby Greeters and Information Kiosk
A Final Word!
- If you have photos to share from the Festival, please become a member of our new Facebook Page “Sun Valley Jazz Volunteers”. Send me a request on Facebook..
- Please add me to your contacts so my emails don’t end up in your SPAM folder. [email protected]
I look forward to seeing you in Sun Valley, Idaho October 13-17, 2021.